Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dreary Sunday Night

Here it is; a humid evening, and the regular evening rain storm of a sort has rolled in, with thunder and lightning poppings and moderate light rain. It seems to happen every night. The 10 p.m. weatherman said that on this date in 1934 the temp. got up to 118 in far southeast Iowa. Obama is on his mideast trip, but I have not followed the news for the last few days intensely. Friday the stock market was up and down all day, and the financial talking heads on Fox and CNBC were yelling and ranting but I had to shut the world crises down for a weekend and do personel things, so I guess my ignorance of the world for the last few days is a given. But right now on Cspan is a guy is talking about the panic of 1907, so I am back absorbing knowledge. I suppose that the main news event of the past week would be that Jesse Jackson used the nword, and the women on The View got into a brawl on who could use the nword, and that got more news coverage than a lot of loftier stuff, but the debate is all part of national cultural mores, so there is some importance to the debate. The new Batman movie is currently a phenomenon, packing in huge crowds, and making money like crazy. The Batman I saw and liked was the one with M Pfeifer and Danny DeVito, especially the last scene where the penguins drag the Penguin's body into the sewer. Right now a guy who runs a bookstore is talking about some of the good books out and coming out this summer. Since I now have some time to get some reading done I would like to start reading again, like I did 30 years ago, but I just do not have the money to buy books again in quantity like I used to do. This is going to be all for right now. You all take care. Di di mau!

No comments: