Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Yeehaw We Are Back Blogging

It does not seem like it has been January since the last entry, but it has been. I guess I got bogged down with the lousy winter we went through, some sickness, and getting ready for retirement--which was part of the first stage of closing down my work place. So, I got to retire instead of getting simply laid off. The FRB eliminated 19 peoples' jobs, and is supposed to dismiss the remaining crew by this time next spring. Maybe it was time to leave my Job, after 35 years, but it had become my life, so now I am trying to ease my way into the golden senior citizen years. I have managed to not go into old age depression and woe. There is a world to explore, and I hope to slowly find it. I have only been retired for 2 weeks, so I will get adjusted to it. Enough of that.
Hillary has been getting pounded in the primaries by "Bama, and the most interesting thing about this doopy election campaign I think is that she has become a dramatic lesson in riding high and then getting stabbed by her "friends" from the last couple of decades who have turned on her. There's a Shakespeare or Tolstoy essence to the human drama of this campaign, beyond the "scholarly" polisci angles. And the first pres campaign between a white woman and a mixed race man has all the ugliness that we thought was a thing of the past.
I suppose that you can look through the Drudge archives to get the historical rehash of what has happened in the world since January. The world's weather and plates are what is causing much of the human suffering right now. The typhoon in Burma and the monster earthquake in western Red China and the spate of tornadoes in the south and eastern USA are the big events that have fucked up thousands of peoples' lives. And the big rise in oil and gas prices in the USA are wiping out everybody's cash researves. I wanted to spend part of my postretirement summer travelling, even just around Iowa, but but with gas prices moving toward 4 bucks a gallon I may not be able to go too far. We will have to see what the summer brings forth.
Charleton Heston, Eddie Arnold, and Leyla Gencer have all passed away recently.
The sinter finally went away about a month ago, but the temp is still in the 70 degree range, and the chilly March-type winds will not go away in the heartland. Hopefully real summer will get here eventually. We need it for the crops and summer work.
It is now close to 2 a.m, so I will end this blog entry. Life's events kept me from blogging for too long, but I hope I can get this blog started again. Have found a bunch of videos on utube of 1930s European singers (Eva Busch, Missinguet, Nanka Ordonowa, Ruslanova, et al) I had never heard of, and I found some videos of Ina Rae Hutton and her all-girl band. I think they are interesting, whether loftier people do or do not. There goes the chip on my shoulder I get some times when social class grudges come up. Well, you all take care. Di di mau!

No comments: