Thursday, May 22, 2008

One Thursday Night in Human History

Obama was in town Tuesday evening, but I had to be out of town, and missed him. I have seen Reagan, Dukakis, Teddy Kennedy, Mondale, Gene McCarthy, Garth Brooks, and the immortal George Strait, and Morgana over the decades when they were in Des Moines, so I have seen a few Big people. And I must not forget seeing Herb Stemple, when he was here when the movie Quiz Show came out. What has happened today? My vacuum cleaner is defunct, I broke my toilet bowl lid, I dropped a coffee cup I picked up at a thrift store, and I recently spilled coffee all over my desk I am sitting at. And there were tornadoes in Colorado and Wyoming. And more fires in California. And gas prices went up overnight in Iowa to over 4 smackers a gal. I have a bunch of oil and energy websites bookmarked, and I need to start looking at them, and I have on youtube discovered a huge pile of videos of pop singers from the '30s from Europe: Eva Busch, Missinguett, Michislav Fogg, and a lot of others. Very interesting good quality music from an otherwise awful era. But you know what was going to happen in and after '39. And more and more opera singer videos are getting put on the Tube. Despite what intellectuals think of Youtube, I keep finding more and more stuff on it that I would never have heard or seen otherwise. And I have to mention the amazing Polish singer Violetta Vilas, who in the Iron Crtain 60s dressed like Charo, but was a very good pop singer. Vi V is now one of my secret pleasures, along with the great Lebanese singer Wadi Al Safi. One of my secrets is that I am not that interested in the new Indiana Jones movie. Like with James Bond and Star Wars I have just never gotten into Indi J.
This is going to be all for right now, after I have done all this opining. You all take care. Di di mau!

No comments: